Music has the power to transform lives, so it’s no surprise that music is integral to Westside. Music helps us express feelings, bonds us together in community, and gives voice to our values. Music can help fulfill every facet of our ministry – from celebration and pastoral care, to personal growth and social change.
Our Music Program draws upon diverse cultural backgrounds and styles, from classical, jazz, and traditional sacred music to spirituals, folk, rock, and new compositions – some from our members. Our congregation is blessed with great talent, from our virtuoso pianist to many singers and instrumentalists. We strive to share music that will help create meaningful worship experiences on Sunday mornings, as well as carry our Unitarian Universalist values into the community.
All who would like to explore and share their creative gifts are welcome to participate in our music programs. Opportunities include:
- Joining the regular Westside Choir. Come, sing a song with us! The choir rehearses weekly on Wednesday nights at 7pm in the sanctuary, and performs on alternate Sundays, September through May. We include enthusiastic singers of varying levels of ability, from long-time singers and music readers to others who have never been in a choir before. No auditions; just come on by! For questions, you can reach our regular choir director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join the Music Circle Wednesday nights in the Glass Classroom at 7:00pm until whenever. Bring your violins, guitars, ukuleles, flutes, banjos,drums, and all manner of rhythm-making insturments. All skill levels are welcome! Contact email@example.com with any questions.
- Singing with the Special Choir. It has been performing several times per year under the direction of a guest conductor. You commit to a limited series of rehearsals and share the joy of sharing even more rewarding musical experiences.
- Performing as a Soloist or in an ensemble. Westside members and guests who sing or play flute, piano, violin, cello, drums, harp, guitar and other music and rhythm instruments often provide music for services during the summer and throughout the year as performers. Our pianist coordinates special music. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know of your interest.
- Singing in the Children’s Choir. We often offer this special opportunity around the holidays.
- Sharing musical talents for special events, such as stewardship musicals.
- Joining our Music Task Force. Drop a message to email@example.com to learn more.